Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm really good at being bad at poker

Turns out i'm still right in the midst of a downswing...I just had a slight upward stutter at the beginning of this weekend.

I am admittedly not playing my best poker, but the cards sure aren't ever bailing me out. I'm getting punished with my big hands and I'm not able to suckout when I make a mistake and get my money in bad.

I've been too aggressive as well. This is something I notice myself doing during a downswing...I'll push my draws like they were the nuts while I forget that people don't fold to those bets when I really have the nuts. I just let myself lose some discipline and my play gets out of hand.

It's been something that I've worked on for some time now and it's very frustrating when I see it coming and I feel unable to do anything to stop it.

I did manage to cash in a satellite to the 50k guarantee today for $3, but was unable to play in it. So I saved the $55 in tourney cash, donking off $33 in buy-ins tonight so I still have $22 of that left. Looks like I'll have to stop taking shots at the $25/2 SNGs for a while too...which is annoying because I've seen some really bad play there. There are 2 regulars that I have yet to see cash and they usually finish 6-10 so if I see them in a game I may have to go for it.

Bank Roll - $919.40 (T$22)


On the life front this is my finals week for school. Finishing up my 4th semester of college...I'm pretty stoked for summer and to be able to work enough to again to have some real money and maybe save up a for a Europe trip in late July. So we'll see how the rest of this week goes, but that should eliminate a lot of stress which can only be good for my poker game.


Some reading today came back across this post and this post over at 2+2. I really liked a lot of the theory stuff that gigabet did, it's almost retarded how smart he is about poker (of course I'm giving him a lot of credit for being right about things that I don't really do in my poker game). He's also the current chip leader at the championship event at the Mirage.

2 comments:

slb159 said...

As in most instances, hindsight is 20/20...even in poker. Good you know your mistakes, and I do the same things as well, as far as evaluating my play. I just gotta learn to evaluate things more quickly at the tables so I'm not so frustrated with myself once I make some donkerific move.

Gl

smokkee said...

gigabet is a freakin maniac.